Following my recent return from research in Australia I am reminded how the convergence of technology is making connections easier and certainly bringing us all closer together. Currently I am bolgging, holding a chat conversation via SKYPE, texting on my mobile and all at the same time. I am nothing if not global and local.
I hope to firm up some of these issues whilst conducting more interviews next week. It will be interesting to follow how, and whether, there is a difference in terms of how UK students make and maintain connections compared to those in Australia. I think one of the most revealing comparisons will be the use of mobile phones and Social Networking Sites (SNS). Facebook in particular in Australia was pervasive and very popular. So far my sense is that SNS's are just taking off here in the UK and are yet to reach the saturation levels that they are at in Australia. This could have something to do with mobile phone infrastructure and monopoly that Telstra in particular holds in Australia, so competition and services are more limited than they are in the UK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment