Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yep! Found it!


There are times when one comes a cross a truly useful tool and piece of gadgetary fun. My latest salvation amid the myriad possibilities of Web 2.0 and danger of over-information is Yep! And as the creators astutely observe this little tool of geekdom is a golden nugget of effortlessness; crafted to be ‘deceptively simple. And remarkably powerful’.

My laptop (my base camp if you will) is literally over-spilling with pdf files, so immersed is my desktop I often have trouble locating my HD despite its cute iconography and usual placement at the top right of my screen (it moves I swear it does!)

By comparison other areas of my computer are rather well contained and almost organised. iphoto where (most) of my pictures have an actual ‘home’ is the space where I can begin sorting through and grouping together vast reams of ‘stuff’. My pdf’s on the other hand have a mind of their own, mostly they are desktop bound, until I can be bothered - nay am disciplined enough, to label them and place them into the requisite folder. Confusion is more than likely when trying to find a file and there is only so far that Spotlight can run searches for rather ambiguous prompts such as ‘that paper, Monday, it was raining, I was eating a muffin’ – yeah that doesn’t work I have tried.

Yep! However, is clever. Much more clever-‘er’ than my organisational skills. Where Del.icio.us, other similar tools, blogs and much of Web 2.0 organisation works on tagging so does Yep! So if you can tag a pdf in a rather random and offhand way such as ‘marmalade’, ‘crocodile’ and ‘spaceship’ and Yep! shall seek it out. Yep! even, in a rather satisfying way, will suggest some more sensible tags that actually relate to the item. Yep! will also link the ‘found’ pdf to other’s that you may not have thought of. A locator, organiser and ‘fun’, yes really, fun way to discover what can be very dry pdf content.

Gone now is my previous hierarchal paper filing system that was my filing cabinet and whilst my desktop is still decorated by an array of pdf’s, no longer do I gaze with unease at the prospective task of having to locate just the one that is needed. Yep! retrieves and makes searchable (or rather sense of, and even sensible) my ‘system’ of file storing.

Now if it could just write the next paper…

No comments: